Born: 1920 - Died: 2007
Povl Vilhelm Wohlert was a Danish architect. He studied at The Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts in the periode 1939-1941, where he was student of Kay Fisker and professor Kaare Klint. Especially Kaare Klint and “The Klint school” had a major influence on the way Wohlert saw the art of architecture.
Wohlert taught architecture at the Academy in the period of 1944-59, interrupted by short teaching career at Berkeley School in California, in 1951-53. At Berkeley he came into contact with the ‘Bay Area’ architects, who had taken the English Arts and Crafts ideals, and fused them with a passion for traditional Japanese architecture, ideas that he took back to Denmark.
In the years 1946-47, Wohlert worked at the Swedish architects Sven Markelius and Hakon Ahlberg in Stockholm, both passionate advocates for Scandinavian modernism.
Wohlert opened his own design studio in 1949 and the first big project in the early 1950s, was a collabration with his old professor Kaare Klint.
In 1957, Wohlert etablilshed in collabration with Jørgen Bo the design studio, Bo & Wohlert. Their joint masterpiece, the art museum Louisiana in Humlebæk, was built in several stages from 1958-91. It was a life’s work to develop Louisiana, as it took 33 years before the last expansion was finished. Their work includes the restoration and refurnishment of Music History Museum in Copenhagen, the Danish Embassy in Brasil (1972-74), the Art Museum in Bochum in Germany (1978-83).
He was employed by the Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts as a professor of Structural Art from 1968-1986, and was nominated honorary member in 2001.
Wohlert’s most important works, include the reconstruction of the Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek, the Gustav Lübcke Museum and numorous of other buildings and restoration projects. He was awarded with the Eckersberg Medal in 1958 and the C.F. Hansen Medal in 1979.
His design office, Wohlert Arkitekter A/S, is continued in 1990 by his son Claus Wohlert (1951-).
More information: www.wohlertarkitekter.com