Born: 1868 - Died: 1952
Rasmus (Gunnersen) Harboe was a Danish sculptor, credited with a wide range of statues, sculptures and wall plaques. In 1887 he studied under Norwegian sculptor Stephan Sinding together with a couple of other young aspiring sculptors at Amalienborg in Copenhagen. By 1890 the students rented two studios for a year in Paris – one for them self and one for their teacher, Sinding. During this time Harboe created a large marble sculpture, featuring a sitting boy with a flute, exhibited in 1892 at the Salon in Paris, and the following year in at Charlottenborg in Denmark. After returning from Paris he was contracted to create the front of the new City Hall in his home town, Skælskør. The result was creamic wall plaques and a large ceramic Justitia sculpture with elements of metal – a very innovative move around the turn of the 20th century.
During a stay in Italy in 1898 to 1899, he was decisively influenced by the Italian Renaissance sculptures and Greek art. As he returned, he created large marble statues portraying characters form the Roman and Greek mythology, such as the Harcules Fountain at Vesterbro Torv in Copenhagen (1913-1915).
In the period 1907 to 1920 Harboe collaborated with architects such as Martin Nyrop, Hack Kampmann and Martin Borsch in creating reliefs and statues to compliment the architecture.
Rasmus Harboe withdrew after the death of his wife in 1936 – no work is known from last 30 years of his life.
We have come across his work from his time at Aluminia, the Danish faience factory. Harboe worked on/off at Aluminia in the period 1903-1930, and is credited with a large number of plates and figurines, among a set of four figurines based on based on the commedia dell’arte characters featured (then as now), at the Pantomime Theater, in Tivoli Gardens, Copenhagen.