After graduating from the Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts, in Copenhagen, in 1959, Birger Schmidt was employed by architect Jørn Utzon‘s design studio, in Hellebæk. Here, he completed both Danish and Swedish construction tasks, including Fredensborghusene and Romerhusene, and the Swedish house build for the director of the company, that supplied tiles to the famous Sidney Opera House. Birger Schmidt built after sketches by Jørn Utzon, the now protected Hammershøj in Helsingør.
In 1961 Birger Schmidt started his own design studio, located in Helsingør. Jørn Utzon had always animated his office employees to participate in competitions and thus develop the profession. In 1965 Birger Schmidt won together with his partner, Poul Schouboe, a large Scandinavian competition for building a “planet town” in Aalborg. This “planet town” would be built over the next six or seven years, and included urban plans, floor houses, farm houses, institutions, shops, etc. The work was guided by the newly established office in Aalborg. the collaboration between the two ended in 1970.