Show your love
About the design
PH 2/1 is designed by the “Master of Light” himself – Poul Henningsen, for Louis Poulsen.
Mouth-blown opal three-layer glass shades, glossy on the outside and sandblasted matte on the inside, secured on tree aluminum legs. The bulb mount is cleverly concealed in the chrome-plated aluminum top, which also acts as base for the aluminum legs. This is a masterpiece in every sense of the word!
Emitting the trademark PH glare-free light – soft and diffused – it has endless uses in the stylish modern home. A true beauty alight as well as idle.
The PH 2/1 is designed based on the principle of the reflective three-shade system – invented by Poul Henningsen in 1925-1926. The first lights were made in metal with painted inside, the glass pendants were introduced at later state.
The model number refers to the shade size – each top shade had a corresponding set of middle and lower shades. The ‘pure’ models, such as 4-4 that features a top shade with a diameter of 40 cm (15.7″) with corresponding lower shade, while the PH 2/1 features a top shade with a diameter of 20 cm (7.9″), but uses the lower shades from the 1-1 model. These ‘hybrid’ models were introduced due to the desire to hang the pendants at lower heights.
Though out his life it became a mission for Poul Henningsen (PH) to create and perfect “the glare-free light” – excluding sharp direct light emittance from the bulb, and directing the light to where it’s needed, and at the same time casting off soft shadows.
The principle behind being the reflecting multi-shade system, based on a logarithmic spiral, where the focal point of the light source is placed in the center of the spiral.
Available from The Collection
Meet the Designer
Poul Henningsen, PH was originally in training as a mason. In the years 1911-1917, he studied at the Technical Society’s school and Polytechnics. Unlike several of the other great danish architects, Poul Henningsen was not a graduate of the famous Roya …
Originally produced by
The company Louis Poulsen actually started out as a wine importing business, founded in 1874, by Ludwig R. Poulsen. Unfortunately the business closes four year later, in 1878. But Ludwig Poulsen did not give up, and saw his opportunity to embark on a n …